Friday, February 5, 2010

New job!!

I am very excited to announce that as of today, I have an exciting 2nd job! I have always had amazing luck with finding work and this is no exception! There is a realtor that I work with (take pictures for), who I have always gotten along well with and enjoyed talking to. I hadn't seem him in awhile, so today when I saw him we caught up a little bit and he happened to mention he finally got his website launched, one he and I had discussed previously. He gave me the site and I said I'd check it out when I got home. Well, for some reason as we were parting ways I just said-hey, I'm graduating in June, so if you need people for whatever, just keep me in mind-totally thinking nothing would come about it. However, he got excited and told me he needs work done NOW-on a part time basis and asked me to come meet with him later this afternoon. So I went to his office this afternoon and we spent 3 hours talking about the website and what it does and what he's looking for. I'm pretty excited about all of it-the job itself and extra money every month is going to be so awesome.
The website is portlandoregon.com and it is a mesh of a social networking site and a site like yelp.com or citysearch.com, but I like how its set up better than either of those sites. Both of those sites are ran by people who don't live in Portland, and they just rely on people in town to keep the site up and running etc. Since Jim (my new boss) is from here, his website is really specialized down to neighborhoods here in Portland. You can basically enter in any kind of business you'd like, then people can leave reviews on the business and upload pictures etc. So my job will be to help upload all of these businesses to get them in the database. The hope is that as businesses start getting reviews etc, that they'll want to pay for advertising. I will also be spending a lot of time walking the streets taking pictures of businesses for the website. It is all right up my alley, so I'm very excited about it. I hope that you'll take some time (if you're in Portland), and sign up as a member and start using the site. You can add businesses you visit often and give them glowing reviews, or trash the businesses you had bad experiences with. There are already a lot of businesses already on the site, so you can start adding pictures and reviews now. So help support my new venture and a local business at the same time! I am very excited :)
xoxo!

2 comments:

Emily said...

That's great! It sounds like the perfect job.

Anonymous said...

What great news, kiddo! Ya know you really deserve it.