Thursday, January 28, 2010

Health wrap up

As I am wrapping up January (January-where have you gone?), I am doing my best to reflect on my goal of health for the month. I am pretty proud of myself. I have managed to go to the gym every single week, 3-4 times. I have lost 7 pounds, which isn't that great, but I'm still ok with it :) Beyond that I have been on weight watchers and I have been trying to make very wise and healthy food choices and make new and fun recipes for Rick and to eat. That has been the hardest because I am in school three nights a week during dinner and have to eat on campus. All in all, I am just trying to make these health choices part of my life and routine so they aren't "hard". I think I knew I was on board when last night Rick brought home some of those sugar cookies from the grocery store with the crazy frosting...I allowed myself one and I didn't even really enjoy it!
I just want to say that part of health is having some sort of idea where our food comes from. About two years ago I decided to stop buying beef. I really love steak and hamburgers, so I wasn't going to stop eating them, but I decided if I could buy ground turkey instead of ground beef, that i would do that because cows have a horrible environmental impact. (Their nasty gas is terrible for the environment!) I have stuck with that, except buying a very, very occasional steak, or buying hamburger patties when we have a bbq. Yesterday on Oprah she talked about where our food comes from. She was talking about the documentary "Food, Inc." (which I need to see). They showed a clip from the film where the chickens were so big and fat from all the antibiotics that they could barely walk. They grow them big and fast for only 39 days from hatching to butchering them. And in that short time they're fed a bunch of crap and shot up with antibiotics, they live in crowded areas and can barely walk. The scene made me cry. I am a total bleeding heart emotional person. If something has to be raised to feed us, at least it should have a happy short life in my opinion. So I did a little research and most chicken farms are like this. Foster Farms doesn't do this, and anyone that lives here in the NW knows who they are. I am making a new commitment to only buy turkey and chicken from Foster Farms. I am willing to pay a little more to know those poor little chickens get to walk around in their short little lives AND knowing that I'm not eating meat chalk full of weird antibiotics.
Anyways, that's my little soap box about health. February is all about love. I am hoping to show those I love how much I love them in little ways all month.
We are headed to the beach this weekend with some friends and I am looking forward to it. Hope you all are well too!
Lauren

1 comment:

Mrs. Seal said...

Good for you Lauren! I would take 7 lbs! That is fantastic...and good to know on the chicken farms. Bleh!