Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Graduation!

Well I did it! I graduated college! It is amazing to say that I have a degree. 4 years of hard work certainly paid off on Sunday when I got to cross that stage and get my (fake) diploma. It felt so good! I have, for the most part, really loved college and the knowledge that I've gained. I have had some really great teachers and some really horrible ones too. I know that I will never regret my decision to go back at 26 years old...and now that seems really young anyways! I definitely feel like I picked the right degree for myself, and I'm so happy I didn't do finance! There were times when I would get so frustrated-when I was a poor college student and my friends with good jobs were spending money like it was going out of style, when there were times when I had to stay home when everyone else was doing something fun, and the times when I didn't understand the material and I'd get so frustrated I'd feel like crying! But now, it is all done! I never could have made it through the last four years without the support of my friends and family, and especially the last 3 years of school with Rick's support. Rick's last girlfriend was in college too, getting her PhD, and he has endured YEARS of a partner splitting their time between him and school. Hopefully he's happy to have me all to himself! I know he'll be REALLY happy when I get a job and start raking in the dough :) I also have to say, I never would have decided to go back to school if it weren't for Adam. He was just weeks away from graduating college when he got sick. He would have been the first of his siblings to get a degree. I was so heartbroken that he never got to walk across that stage and receive that diploma. BYU was kind enough to give him his diploma after he died, but it just wasn't the same for me or for his family. Adam worked so hard at school, he was a great example for me, of the kind of student to be. Its times like these where I feel mixed emotions, knowing I would never have this life if it weren't for his death. So, this degree is as much for me as it is for him. I just wanted to make that known. I guess I should also mention that I ended the semester with 3 A's and one A-. That's a 3.89, rounding out my PSU GPA at a 3.69, which gives me the great pleasure of graduating with honors! That'll look nice on my resume I hope!
So, I suppose I'll move onto the pictures!
Pre-graduation with my friend Constantine, who I met back in my first semester of PSU in a finance class.
With Yuliya and Josh, Supply Chain friends
Yuliya and I with Lee Buddress, the head of our department-one of my very favorite teachers.
My buddy Josh again
My favorite cap decoration
The view from my seat on the floor. The Rose Garden was completely packed! This was the largest ever graduating class in the state of Oregon with around 5100 students. However only around 2000 participated in commencement.
During the ceremony, which was terribly boring
And after! All graduated!
With Rick's parents, Dick & Peggy
The graduate :)
With my parents after a nice dinner at Stanford's
With my Aunt Linda, my Dad's sister (if you couldn't tell!)
My biggest fan :)
And of course, with my adorable Grandma
One last one!
In many ways, its hard to believe its over. I'm actually feeling a little down this week because of it. School has been my number one focus for 4 years and now I have to figure out something new to fill my time up with! Hopefully I can get some new hobbies!
On the job front-I still haven't heard back from PPS. Last Tuesday they said they'd make a decision between me and one other person. I emailed yesterday and nothing back :( I'm starting to feel not-so-confident about the whole thing. The prospect of looking for a job is a bit daunting, that is for sure.
Well that is it for now. Hope you all have a nice Father's Day this Sunday!

3 comments:

Marsee Family said...

I am so proud of you!! You are such an amazing person and I am so glad to have you in my life(even though I don't see you very often). You have influenced my life in many ways and I love you dearly!

Jenn said...

Congrats!! SO happy for you!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I hardly ever get to blogspot but my heart is racing with happiness for you... I WANT TO FINISH SO BADLY!!! I know I will with Chet's support sometime soon.... WOW WOW WOW, What an accomplishment and I loved your beautiful words about Adam. Hugs.... and congratulations Lo!
~ Amy