Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Riley's & Misty's Birthdays

Hi all!
Well it feels like I haven't been taking very many pictures lately, but here are a few that I have.
We celebrated our niece Riley's 8th birthday on October 18th at her house with cake, ice cream and presents and a little Rock Band.
Here is Riley with the cute pink boots we got her :)

Mike giving Riley her cake

Blowing out her 8 candles

Riley with all her Webkinz. The frog and turtle were new

Riley, Kailey and Kailey's friend playing Rock Band on the Wii

me and Riley's Webkinz

I was cracking up at Riley's birthday because Rick and I were trying to play Rock Band, which neither of us had played before. We somehow got the Wii frozen or something so it wouldn't work and none of us adults could get it to work. We had to call down Kailey to fix it for us. It made me feel old! I remember getting my first Nintendo and when my Mom would play it and not know how to do something I would get so frustrated and wonder why she couldn't figure it out. I can't believe that suddenly I'm not up on technology and need help from a 14 year old to figure it out! Sigh, times are a-changin'!
Anyway, I think Riley had a very good birthday, and we had a good time hanging out!

My friend Misty's 30th birthday was Saturday and we went out to Clackamas to Old Chicago to be with her for her birthday. We were also supposed to go to our friend Jaime's Halloween party that night, but never did! Sometimes there is just too much to do :(
Me, Alison and Jen

Misty, the birthday girl, and Amber

Rick (playing video poker) and Bill

And a few pictures of Rocco, for your viewing enjoyment...
Rocco sleeping in a basket thing

Rocco is obsessed lately with my backpack. He likes to ride around in it :)

We're thinking of getting him a harness and leash because he wants to go outside so bad and we don't want him to run away and be an outdoor kitty. I think once he's done growing we'll try it!
All else is good around here. School is keeping me really busy. I just got through midterms. I haven't seen all my grades from the tests yet, but I know I did get a 90 on my finance test. I was very happy about that!
Work picked up a lot in October and that, combined with Rick getting a raise made it so I don't have to get a 2nd job! Thank goodness. I really feel overwhelmed as it is, I can't imagine doing a 2nd job on top of it.
Some of you keep up on Becky's blog...her family had a scare this last week. Becky's sister Karen, who is only 3 years older than me, went to the Dr. with headaches and blurred vision. They found a mass in her brain (this was last Thursday), did brain surgery to remove it and determine if it was cancerous on Saturday. It was very scary for her family as you can imagine, and really hard for Becky, as she is now living in another state. Thankfully it ended up being some malformation of nerves and blood etc that got up there somehow. They removed it and she'll be perfectly fine once she recovers from surgery, in about a month. I am just so relieved it's not cancer. It's so bizarre how we're afflicted with such random things healthwise in our lives.
In other news, the election is next week. Is everyone excited? I can't tell you how happy I will be to not see another political commercial for a long while. This year they seemed more vicious than ever before and I just can't wait for it to be over. I will say I have had amazing conversations with people lately about politics. I haven't argued once, just had great, intelligent, amazing conversations with the people I love, who I admire so much for really thinking things through and doing what they think is right, not what other people tell them is the right thing to do. I am glad we have 2 thought provoking candidates this year who are REALLY making people think twice about what is going on in this country and what we really want and need. To those I have had conversations with lately: thanks for discussing these touchy subjects with me and for being honest and for inspiring me with your concern and care for your kids and for the future of our country. I have been uplifted by your true intelligence and good hearts. Like I always say, I have the BEST friends.
Ok, well for now I am off to do some studying!
Lots of love,
Lauren

1 comment:

Rebecca B said...

Oh my 2nd BF is so darn cute!!