Thursday, July 16, 2009

In memory

Today marks the 4 year "anniversary" (for lack of a better word) of Adam's passing. Each year I learn so many new things about myself because of what Adam dying has done to change my life. Each year on this date I find myself feeling new and different emotions. I think back to that day, where I made the hardest decision I will probably ever have to make, and I marvel that somehow I was strong enough to endure that time in my life. I think about how grateful I was to have Adam in my life for a few short years, and how many amazing and fun memories I have of him. I miss him, but then I get conflicted and confused when I think about how blessed I am today, and how grateful I am for my life today-my marriage to Rick, and my outlook on life. Things never happen how we want or expect them to, that I know for sure. I've said it many times, considering where I've been, I couldn't be in a better place. Each year on this date I get a little hung up about hurt feelings, and feel sad for what could have been, but isn't. Today, I read this quote on a friend's blog and it only bolsters what I already know to be true.
“This is our one and only chance at life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.”
-
Thomas S. Monson
Life is so short, and it is important to find joy in our lives instead of getting hung up on the dumb things that we always seem to get hung up on. We only have one chance, so we better make it good! I have such a hard time worrying about what other people think, even though I KNOW it isn't important. So today I hope you'll each enjoy your journey a little more, and worry a little bit less.
And please keep Adam in your heart and mind if you knew him. He meant so much to so many people and I think its important to learn from his story.
Here's to you Adam!

Adam at Jenny Lake, in Teton National Park, summer of 2004

5 comments:

Rebecca B said...

Beautiful post! I love you!

Kylee said...

I was actually just talking to my roommates about your and Adam tonight. I knew it his "anniversary" was some time around now since it is close to Grant's "anniversary" but I didn't realize it was today. I guess I was just feeling it.

Just want you to know I try to keep up on your life, your craziness with your house, and I'm so happy that you are so happy!

Jenn said...

Oh Laren, you are amazing!! You deserve all the happiness in the world.

Heidi said...

we always want to find joy in the journey. thank you for posting that. always thinking of you and Adam. I am happy for you and Rick. You deserve all the happiness!! Take care.

Anonymous said...

That really touched me. Blake