Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Air Show

Last weekend Rick and I went to the airshow. Dick and Peggy's neighbors run the fireworks there, so they were kind enough to get us in for free, and into their special tent, where we had nice seats, free food and drinks and free earplugs all day!
I had never been, so I was sort of excited to go, but also didn't know what to expect. The weather was beautiful and we had an excellent time.
An F-15 flyby

Plane acrobatics

A blackhawk helicopter. I was amazed by the size of the rotors!

a cool old WW2 bomber. I liked the artwork on the side.

Truckosaurus!

Truckosaurus eating a car and breathing flames. Pretty sweet!

The best part-the Thunder Birds. If you don't know anything about them, it's pretty cool actually. They are Air Force pilots specially chosen to fly as Thunder Birds for a few years traveling all over the world doing air shows and showing off what they can do. They fly in super tight formations that take amazing skill. I couldn't believe the tricks they were doing, and being that close to fighter jets is a really cool experience.
A good detailed shot so you can see the design on the planes, and also how close they fly to each other.

There are 6 of them-4 that almost always fly in tight formation, then 2 solo pilots.

One from top. Again, check out how close together they are.

All in all, it was an impressive day and I was really glad I went!
I do have new pictures of the house/yard, but I am not going to post them yet. We have some people coming over on Sunday so I would like the last few things we do to be sort of a surprise to them. I'll get pictures up after then. We are SO close to being done. The living room is painted, the backsplash is tiled and grouted, we have a new side yard...
just a few things this week to get done to perfect it all-finish hanging the cabinet door pulls, painting the ceiling, putting everything back where it belongs, cleaning, get the carpets cleaned, yard clean up, hanging some siding etc.
I have to publicly thank Dick and Peggy for coming up 2 weekends in a row and working their tails off with us! They have been great! My Dad also came this last weekend and helped, which was great too. This week will be really busy as we cram all the last minute stuff in.
I don't know if I'll know what to do with myself after Sunday (well until school starts on the 28th)!
In other fantastic news, since we are done spending money on the house (for now), yesterday morning I thought I'd check flights to Puerto Vallarta. We've been talking about trying to go in November to celebrate my 30th birthday, but we've been putting all our money into the house, so I honestly didn't think it'd be feasible. Well, I stumbled upon insanely cheap plane tickets so we booked it! The tickets were only $300 each, round trip! That is so cheap for Mexico. So we are going from November 10-18th (my bday is the 22nd). I have been iffy about turning 30, but I feel so much better now, knowing that we are doing something fun for it, and that I have something to really look forward to. We booked our hotel too, and are staying in a really nice all-inclusive. I am thrilled about that as well, free food and drinks for 8 nights will take all the stress out of everything, and we can still go out to eat in town as well.
Anyway, hope you all enjoyed your last weekend of summer. Take care!

No comments: