Monday, November 3, 2008

Friendship

Friendship is a topic I have been thinking a lot about lately. I have said on here many times that I have the best friends ever. Some of those great friends are found spread across the country and found in Boise, Salt Lake City and Chicago! Sometimes I wonder how life would be different if some of those great, true friends lived closer.
I feel like I've learned a lot of great lessons in my short 28.9 years of life, and one of them is that people aren't worth keeping around if they can't put into relationships what you yourself put in. Now, that may vary at different times over the friendship. it can't be equal all the time, but during the overall life of a relationship both people should be working equally as hard. To me, there is nothing worse than being "called out" by a friend for not investing enough when they aren't investing enough either.
I feel like every couple of years or so I have to take "inventory" of my friendships and examine them and decide if they're worth keeping.
Recently I felt like I was being made to feel guilty about not attending a get-together with some of my friends. I decided not to go, then got a bunch of grief about it. I feel like my friend wasn't even trying to understand why I wasn't going. She said I don't make enough time for my friends. I am taking some time to look at that and decide if I feel like that's an accurate accusation or not. 2 weeks ago I texted every single friend in town that I have, that doesn't have kids, to come hang out. Not one person would come out. Last weekend I went to Misty's birthday where I spent time with a big group of friends. This weekend I spent time with Rick's friends from out of town, and went to a concert with Brianne and saw our friends the Dimes. When I really think about if I make time for my friends, I think I do. I would hope that anyone who is my friend would know that if they needed me for something, I would drop whatever I was doing and I would be there. I am just asking for some understand in that I work a lot, I go to school full time. I have a LOT of homework. I have a husband that I like to come home to and spend time with. I have a house that needs a lot of work inside and out, and I have chores to do too. My life is no different than anyone else's. Just don't forget that other people have stuff going on in their lives and don't give them grief if they decide to stay at home once in awhile instead of getting together. I have spent too much time in my life being made to feel guilty about my decisions. I don't want to waste anymore time letting other people make me feel bad about what I feel like is best for my life. So, I am going to take some more time to examine some of these friendships to see if I really feel like they're worthwhile or not. Life is too short to waste on people who don't love you the way they should.

5 comments:

The Carey's said...

Well said! I agree %100. It is so hard after you are grown up to try and keep relationships the way they always were, as your life dynamics change, so do your friendships.

Anonymous said...

Wow.... It's really true. Friendship should go beyond all the superficial Bull. We do all have lives and responsibilities that others should be sensitive too. We all give what we can, when we can.... My big thing is this... True friends, start where they left off.... no judgements, no assumptions, no accusations, just true love, and true friendship. I am really sorry Lauren. I am glad we can start where we left off... I was so glad to be a part of your wedding.. I have some pics I want to send you. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Well Lauren, I certainly know a lot about this topic. It seems I lose a friend everytime I come into town for this exact same reason. Someone's feelings always get hurt because they think I "didn't make time for them, therefore they are not important". Well if you ask me, it is a very selfish way to think. Life happens and things come up, a true friend understands this and doesn't make you feel guilty.
I'm just glad that even though we live in different states we still keep in touch and can pick up exactly where we left off.
Me loves you Lauren:)

Rebecca B said...

We've already discussed this in person but I just wanted to say AMEN! The older we get the fewer friends we have but that just leaves the authentic ones to grow.
I love what Amy said, SO TRUE! And I am worried about the exact thing Ali said but time will tell...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren-it was great to hear from you on my blog! I have read through your blog some and am so happy to see that your life is going so well-you deserve it! Would love to hear more from you sometime. Feel free to e-mail me at julie12866@yahoo.com

Take care!
Julie