Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Puerto Vallarta Zoo


One day we walked from our hotel to the Puerto Vallarta zoo-which was really close to our hotel. I had read some really good things about it, so we decided to check it out, and I'm glad we did!
It was the funniest little zoo I've ever been to, but you could pay $5 extra for a bag of food and hand feed the animals. It was worth every penny :)
Capuchin monkeys
Rick, a little hesitant to feed the monkeys
Cocodrilos
It was a little unnerving that these green bars were the only think between you and this ferocious jaguar. It wouldn't stop pacing so I couldn't get a good pic, but regardless, we didn't opt to feed this guy.
This exhibit of goats, donkeys, llamas etc cracked us up! They were all very excited for some food.
The goats were really aggressive, butting anyone else out who tried to get food, so I was trying to get the sad donkey some treats.
The donkey thanked us by braying VERY loudly
Camels are giant.
Watch out, they spit!
A weird ostrich/emu like bird. It was creepy.
A cute yawning spider monkey
Rick, feeding a beautiful antelope
Flying flamingo
Spider monkey/flamingo show down
A zebra with very gross teeth
Rick feeding said zebra
I still can't believe i got to feed a giraffe! How cool is that?
Rick and the giraffe
Mr. Giraffe. His mouth was so weird!
Kinkajou
Feeding the toucan
The creepiest monkey ever-the Sacred Papion
Beautiful lionness
Their petting zoo cracked me up! It was this huge space with little goats and pigs, but also with turtles and guinea pigs running around!
A cute little goat
A one month old jaguar cub
The keeper showing me how tame his cats are-this is a 4 month old. Check out those teeth!
One of the highlights of my trip: holding a one month old baby jaguar. Isn't he precious? He was licking my arm here...
Me & the baby
He then found my shoe and sunk claws and teeth in and wouldn't let go!
Apparently it was time for him to eat! You can see other babies behind-tigers and spotted jags.
The 4 month old awake-you can see its' spots in the sunlight. Even black jaguars have spots!
Giant spiders-everywhere
A cute green parrot
Rick and our friend, Mr. Oso Negro (blackbear). Its hard to see, but he had his arms around the bars and just reminded us of a circus bear. We loved that cute bear!
Isn't he pretty?
He gently took the carrot, then decided he didn't want it, so he handed it back through the bars. What a nice bear!
My tourist pic with Oso Negro
A funny tiger
And finally, the strangest exhibit we saw at the zoo: 4 orange housecats behind glass.
I hope you liked our zoo pics! More to come :)

3 comments:

The Carey's said...

I died at the picture of the turtle and the guinea pig! What the!? So funny. Great pictures.

Jay and Heath said...

Awesome photos! I loved the one with the bear and also the camel... so funny! I have never been to a zoo like that... pretty sweet! -Heather

Unknown said...

Based on your photo collections we are taking our 3 kids 7,4,2 tomorrow and are especially excited to see the jaguar cub and domestic cat collection!

The Penny FAmily