Thursday, September 18, 2008

The road to Hana-part 1

We thought it was really funny that all the Oregonians we talked to said the Road to Hana was a must-do, but when we met people in Hawaii from the mid-west and other places they all said it wasn't worth it, and how crazy it was. It really reminded us of the old historic Gorge Hwy, very twisty and turny, with gorgeous scenery and lots of waterfalls. There was not one part that we thought was scary or crazy! I guess if you're from Minnesota you're not used to crazy mountain roads.
Anyway, Rick really enjoyed driving and I really enjoyed looking at the sights and taking pictures of course! If you go to Maui, just do the road to Hana, it is worth it! Oh, and because I have so many pictures from this day I am doing it in 2 shifts!
Our first view point-looking into a pretty valley

Beautiful orange flowers. I think they look like flames!

Rick & I at a view point

A stop along the road-a little tiny, but pretty waterfall

Waianapanapa State Park-the only black sands beach on Maui made from lava flow.
It was so picturesque and beautiful!

Cool leaf and seeds

The black sands beach from below

It wasn't quite warm enough yet to go for a swim

There were also mongoose (mongeese?) everywhere at this park

Another mongoose

Cool pink flowers

Hana Bay

Scenic coastline

Sea arch

This was my and Rick's favorite beach on Maui. I can't remember the name of it, but it's on Opau Bay. It had really fine sand and awesome body surfing wave, and was pretty unpopulated!

Ok that's it for now. I've been sitting here doing these pictures for a few hours! I need a break!

No comments: